Friday, April 11, 2008

Help for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation

This week has been a crazy one around these parts.  First of all, a bit of news for my faithful readers, who I temporarily abandoned this week!  This FitMomma is Pregnant!  
Yes, I found out last Thursday that we're going to add to our brood the first week of December.  That puts me at about 5 1/2 weeks pregnant right now.  My list of topics for this blog just expanded.....if I could just stay awake long enough to write anything creative!

But the other crazy thing we've been involved in is a charity garage sale for our Playgroup.  One of our Playgroup and FitMommas members has a son, Chase, with Cystic Fibrosis.  He'll be three next month, but has years of struggle ahead of him - the average life expectancy for a person with CF is only 37 years old.  I just turned 34 yesterday and I certainly feel like I have lots more living to do!

Cystic Fibrosis is primarily a chronic lung disease, which causes thick mucus build-up in otherwise healthy children and adults.  It's inherited, and typically diagnosed under the age of two.  In the 1950's, most children with CF didn't live long enough to enter grade school, but research into new treatments has greatly improved the lives with those with CF.

To learn more about Cystic Fibrosis, please check out the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation's website.  Chase is the fourth person that I've known with CF, and those that have lived past their mid-30's did so only with a double-lung transplant.  

Part of being a FitMomma is nurturing your FitMind, and nothing works better than helping others in need!  If you would like to help little ones like Chase, please check out his mom's fundraising site, CHASEing A Cure, and please consider making a donation in the next few weeks.  The fundraising drive ends May 3rd, culminating in the CF Great Strides walk-a-thon.  


No comments: