Monday, February 2, 2009

How to Become a Yoga Momma

Over the course of this blog, you'll all find out that I truly believe Yoga to be the single best thing anyone can do for their bodies.  You can burn calories, increase flexibility, strengthen muscles and find restorative relaxation - all in one exercise routine!

Really, there are so many benefits of yoga, it's tough to know where to start.  I found this nursing blog in which Alisa Miller gives us 77 Surprising Health Benefits of Yoga. I'll discuss my personal reasons for loving yoga in subsequent posts, but for right now, if you've ever wonder what the hullaballoo was around yoga, Ms. Miller's list is a good place to start. (Sorry, I have had to remove the link to this story. Feel free to Google it for yourself. Thanks!)

And this weekend, I was turned on to this website from my awesome FitMomma friend, Tracy.  It's Yoga Journal's Poses section - where you an browse various yoga poses.  Selecting one pose, it will give you step-by-step instructions on how to do the pose; what body parts are being worked; the overall benefits; beginner's tips and advanced steps; as well as related poses, so you can put a series together.  I also love that they include the "real" name of the poses, so those Yogi wanna-bes like myself can learn the language of yoga!

So find a pose or two that inspires you, and start a yoga practice today.  You can't go wrong with a Mountain Post into a Downward-Facing Dog into a Child's Pose, if you're looking for a place to start.  And your kids will enjoy it, too!

No comments: