Thursday, May 22, 2008

Working Out While on Dr's Order's to Rest

I'm now at 11 1/2 weeks pregnant, and I continue to have sporadic spotting.  Even though ultrasounds continue to show that everything is going perfectly, I'm on doctor's orders to take it easy.  She specifically said "No Stroller Aerobics!" which is my main form of both aerobic and strength training exercise!  For the past few weeks, I wasn't worry about it too much, and fully enjoying the reasons to rest!

However, here I am now, and while I'm in major "Wow!" over not gaining one pound, I realize that I'm getting really squishy!  Translation:  I'm losing muscle mass!  Yikes!  So rest or no rest, I need to find ways to keep active while keeping the activity to a minimum.  How the heck do I do that??

Well, I'd love to hear any ideas, but here are some that I've come up with.

1.  The Exercise Ball.
I need to bring mine up from the basement, which is currently undergoing some remodeling to make room for baby.  It's time to bring it to the living room, and do some easy stability moves that will help me keep toned without over-exerting myself.  

2.  Embracing Housework
WHA??  Ok, not that I love cleaning house, but if you're familiar at all with the FlyLady (check out her site if you're not), you learn that you can do a weekly once over in your home in about an hour - racing against the clock!  If I gotta clean anyway, I might as well make it worth my while!  The idea is that you make a short list of chores, and do the best you can in 10 minute segments, actually setting a timer and racing against it.  The house is clean on the surface, and you get a decent, meaningful workout doing what you have to do anyway.  No Heavy Lifting allowed!

3.  Assisted Squats and Lunges
I don't know about you, but squats and lunges raise my heart rate fast, and I can find myself overdoing it fast!  So if you need to take it easy, grab the back of a chair or couch with one hand, go slow and get squatting.  These are great moves for pregnant moms anyway, and you'll still reap many fitness benefits even though you're not doing them at full strength.  

4.  Take a Walk
Unless you're on Full Bedrest, there's no reason you can't take a simple walk.  It's better than sitting on the couch any day.  For me, that means putting my little one in the umbrella stroller, and taking a walk around the cul-de-sac.  If I'm feeling ambitious, we can drive to the park, give Momma a walk, and then let the little one burn off some energy on the playground when we're done.

Ok - so these are just off the top of my head, and I'd love more ideas if you have them!

No comments: