Wednesday, March 19, 2008

You Don't Have To Be Perfect

To achieve the model or celebrity bodies that we crave, most of us would have to achieve perfection of our diet and exercise first - and most of us are even aiming for this perfection!  We know what we need to eat, we know what we need to do physically, so there's no reason for us not to just be perfect at all times.  Right?  EH, not even close!  

So let's just get this out there right now, and admit to yourself - say it out loud - I do not have to be perfect!  There is no such thing.  Those who try to achieve perfection lead incredibly unfulfilled lives, because perfection cannot (and really, should not!) be attained!  While it is possible that we could live our lives like drill sergeants, eating just so, maximizing every minute of our day to attain perfect bodies, the fact is that we're human, we're moms and our days on this earth are numbered - so we should make the best of them!

Think about what you want to attain, set your goals, set a plan in action - and then give yourself room to be human.  Rather than focus on how you failed in your diet today, focus on how well you did do, and how much you enjoyed and savored that dalliance in your diet!  Keep in mind that most of us seeking a fit and healthy lifestyle are eating better than the average American - so your bad day is likely better than most people's good day!  And you're probably eating better than you have in your life.

If you're looking for some practical info in this post, I found a great gauge for living a fit and healthy lifestyle - the 80/20 Rule.  Do what you're supposed to do 80% of the time, and don't beat yourself up about the other 20.  This is not an Amy-ism, I found this little nugget from Pamela Peeke and the Body For Life For Women.  Eat what you know you should, workout like you know you should, and then let the other 20% of the time go.   This rule stuck with me, and I have found that I'm less stressed about my overall health by keeping this in mind and forgiving myself for not being perfect.  Being less stressed in and of itself will aide in your health - so give yourself a break.  

No comments: