Tuesday, March 24, 2009

My Tongue is Burning!

We deviated from the normal menu this evening, and ate a ham steak that my MIL brought to us this weekend.  I LOVE ham, though rarely eat it, given it's high fat, sodium, processed-ness.  But I made a veggie medley to go with it, and thought "Yeah, treat time!"  I also stupidly opted to cook an Uncle Ben's Country Inn Broccoli Rice Au Gratin rice mix.  I apparently had a lobotomy for an afternoon snack.  

So I proceeded to devour half the ham steak, plus a serving of the rice.  My tongue is actually burning a bit right now.  That can't be good.  I have naturally low blood pressure, but I'm starting to think I probably shouldn't have gone willy nilly on an overly-salted slab o' pig.  

Just out of curiosity, I decided to check out the Nutrition Facts label (it's your best friend, ya know!).  Holy Crap in handbasket.  A 3oz serving has 950mg of salt.  That's 40% of your total daily value.  In three ounces.  I would say I easily had 8oz, so two and a half times that.  Is A Lot Of Sodium.

The Rice?  One serving (which is about what I had) has 850mg of Sodium.  

I easily just consumed well over 3000mg of salt.  In about 20 minutes or so.  No wonder my tongue is burning.  I better go drink about a gallon of water to try to thin my blood of its sodium content.  

Oh, and in worse news?  There was 14 grams of fat (4.5 grams of Saturated Fat!), per 3 oz serving, in that ham steak.  That's just the ham steak.  So not only is my blood screaming, my ass ain't far behind it.  I hang my head in shame!

No comments: