Tuesday, February 19, 2008

My Ah-Hah Moment

So, the whole idea of FitMommas, for me, was born out of the idea of how to be fit and healthy while raising a family - two things that don't necessarily go hand in hand. At the start of 2007, a couple of my Playgroup friends and I started FitMommas of St. Peters on Meetup.com. We scheduled walks in the mall, support groups ala Weight Watchers. During the Spring 2007, I was able to get back to my pre-baby weight. Leading into Summer, we added Stroller Aerobics workouts, and even with a few hiccups here and there, my workouts and eating were pretty good.

But one thing I really wanted to concentrate on was my mental health, because I strongly believe that it may be the biggest key to overall health. That entailed, for me, blogging regularly about the daily ups and downs of a healthy lifestyle with kids, searching out articles and news on health topics to share with everyone, and getting to that mental core.

So mid-September hit and my 1 year old son Sean got a cold. It turned into bronchiolitis, and we were in the dr's office for almost 3 hours doing breathing treatments before we could go home. Since then, he's caught four more colds, all of which have led to the same thing, and an official diagnosis of Asthma. Sean was kind enough to share every cold with me. In mid-December, the stomach flu hit every family member, save the dog. I don't remember that ever happening, not even as a kid. My husband, Trey, and I both got hit over the head with the regular flu not quite three weeks ago, and have since been dealing with a severe ear infection (Trey) and severe sinus infection (me.)

Hardly the fit and healthy lifestyle I'm supposed to be living.

But over the weekend, I started to realize something. This is my life. Ah-Hah! For better or worse, germies or not, this is it. I keep waiting to start this mental journey until "this" passes, but the fact is, pass or not, it's my life, and the whole point of FitMommas is how to be fit and health and deal with life as it's thrown at you. It's not easy, if it was, everyone would be doing it. It's hard, and there are tough days, and there's guilt and there's a need to let it out before you explode. I've totally been missing that point.

So I hope to start that mental journey here.

1 comment:

mamamia3babies said...

I can SOOO relate to you! We must figure out a way to live life right now. Roll with the punches. As that genius, Dr. Seuss, once said, "You can get so confused that you'll start in to race.... headed, I fear, toward a most useless place: The Waiting Place." I get stuck there myself sometimes!